Exercise Your Eyes for Better Vision
Did you know the eye muscle reacts faster than any other muscle in your body? Depending on the health of your eye, it can contract in less than 1/100th of a second. Eyes are an incredible part of the body and need daily exercise to maintain their function.
In an earlier post, we mentioned how important it is to take everyday measures to protect your eyes. Along with proper nutrition and regular rest, our doctors encouraged you to exercise your eyes daily with the following physical exercises:
- Brisk walk
- Mild jog
- Pilates and yoga
- Group sports
If you stay physically fit, your entire body will have the energy it needs to perform its daily functions-including your eyes. Apart from physical fitness, your eyes need to undergo regular eye exercises to become stronger, keener, and healthier. Try the following to keep your eyes fit:
1. Get Comfortable
Before you begin exercising your eyes, get comfortable. Sit on a chair and rub your hands together to create friction. Once your hands become warm, close your eyes and let your hands rest over them gently. Don’t add any extra pressure, just allow the heat to rest on your eyes and help them relax.
Once your eyes begin to relax and have no trace of light, begin to imagine blackness filling your eyes. After you see blackness, take deep breaths to calm your body and then visualize a faraway place. Remove your hands from your eyes and open your eyes for a few seconds.
2. Close Eyes
If you’ve done the palming exercise, close your eyes again and keep them tight for 10 seconds. Open them for a few seconds and then close them again for ten seconds. You can repeat this exercise 10 times before moving on to the next.
3. Massage Eyes
Every eye needs a good massage now and then. To massage your eyes, try one or more of the following:
- Soak a towel in hot water and use the towel to rub your forehead, cheeks, and neck. Next, close your eyes and let the warm towel rest on your closed eyes.
- Cover your eyes with a warm towel. After you’ve let it rest there for a few seconds, place your fingertips on the towel and gently massage in circular motions for one minute.
- Close your eyes and cover your entire face with a cold towel. Next, cover your entire face with a hot towel. Alternate between the two as much as you’d like, and then end with the cold towel covering your face.
4. Press on Eyes
Once you’ve massaged your face and eyes, close them and press on them with two fingers for one second at a time. Repeat as needed.
5. Open Eyes
Your eyes need to rest. Sit with your eyes open for a few minutes, blinking occasionally (when it feels most natural).
6. Focus Eyes
Focusing your eyes also builds strength. Try the following:
- For 10 seconds, focus your eyes on a nearby object (100 – 200 feet away).
- Close your eyes for a few seconds.
- Open your eyes and focus on a closer object (10 – 30 feet away).
Repeat this exercise five to ten times.
7. Test Eyes
To test your eyes, hold a pen out in front of you. Move the pen toward your nose as you keep it in focus with your eyes. Try this exercise 10-20 times.
8. Move Eyes
Your eyes move at an incredible rate-try to focus on those movements with the following exercises:
- Move your eyes from side to side (wall to wall) for ten seconds.
- Write your name with your eyes.
- Close one eye and form the figure eight with your other eye, then repeat the exercise with opposite your eye.
- Imagine there is a clock in front of you. Focus both of your eyes on the center of the clock, and then focus them on a certain number. Refocus your eyes on the center of the clock, and then refocus them on another number. Repeat.
- Move both eyes up and down at the same time. Next, close one eye and move the other eye up and down. Repeat with the opposite eye.
- Focus one eye on an ant (or other small object) and then close both eyes and repeat exercise with the opposite eye.
- Alternate blinking between both eyes.
- Close one eye and watch a moving object (car, bus, train) pass. Try the other eye and then alternate between your eyes at a more rapid pace.
9. Close Eyes
After you exercise your eyes, close them tightly and place your hands over them to relax. If you want to keep them calm, use a warm cloth and press gently into your closed eyelids for a few seconds.
Your eyes allow you to do an incredible amount of things. Do all you can to keep them healthy and fully-functioning-exercise your eyes daily.